(AmericanProsperity.com) – California schools may soon be forced to teach about man-made global climate change under a bill introduced in the state legislature.
Assemblymember Luz Rivas (D-Arleta) introduced AB 1992. The legislation states, “climate change education will be a coursework requirement for students in grades 1 through 6, and a graduation requirement for students in grades 7 through 12, starting 2025.”
In a press release, Rivas stated a “parents’ concern for climate change ‘significantly increased’ when their children were taught about it in school.”
Climate change education is controversial and the science behind it is continually changing and evolving.
According to an NPR/Ipsos poll, 86% of teachers and 80% of parents say climate change should be taught in school.
However, what exactly would teachers teach about climate change?
How Do We Know the Science is Right — Ice Age in the 70s and Global Warming in the 2000s.
How do we know we have the science right and what if we’re wrong?
For 50 years, politicians and scientists have claimed that the world was going to end if action wasn’t taken to curtail global warming. Back then it was known as “global warming” before it was changed to “climate change.”
The Competitive Enterprise Institute in September 2019 published a 50-year history of false predictions. Here are just a few:
- In 1970, a Boston Globe headline read, “Scientist predicts a new ice age by 21st century.” In another article in The Washington Post, a Columbia University scientist said the world could be “as little as 50 or 60 years away from a disastrous new ice age.”
- In another 1970 story, it was claimed that “America will be subject to water rationing by 1974 and food rationing by 1980.
- In 1974, other reports warned that satellites showed a new ice age “coming fast.”
- In 1978, the New York Times said “the world would experience a never-ending “cooling trend in the Northern Hemisphere.”
- 10 years later, in 1989, the Associated Press said, “Rising seas could obliterate nations: U.N. officials” and said many nations would be eliminated if global warming wasn’t reversed by 2000.
- In 2008, a NASA scientist claimed the Arctic will be free of sea ice in the summer of that year and in the same year former Vice-President Al Gore said “the entire North ‘polarized’ cap will disappear in five years.”
Today, it’s the same warnings from different politicians and their predictions have not come to fruition.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) recently suggested climate change could wipe out Miami.
What Exactly Should Teachers Teach?
Given the following:
- If the science behind climate change is changing and evolving
- If the science hasn’t been accurate for 50 years
- If we don’t know all the contributing factors to something as complex as climate change
Then, what exactly are teachers going to teach?
Is it possible that California Assemblymember Rivas is more interested in teaching politics than science when she admits she has to get to the parents through the kids to persuade them of her beliefs?
The question is: are we asking teachers to teach accurate science or political beliefs?
Copyright 2020, AmericanProsperty.com